Tax Preparation Checklist
Here is the list of documentation for
Personal and for Corporation (if applicable):
Personal Tax Prep Checklist
1. Forms W-2
2. Personal Information, including alimony
3. Information about other People who may belong on your tax return, as childcare records, income of other adults in your home.
4. Education Payments - Forms 1098-T and itemized qualified educational expenses
5. Self-Employment Information - Forms 1099-MISC, Schedule K-1, records of all expenses, office income information, if applicable.
6. Business Use of Vehicle Information, log showing total miles driven for the year, parking and tolls paid or if you want to claim actual expenses, receipts of total for gas, oil, car washes, licenses, lease, personal property tax, etc.
7. Rental Property Income
8. Retirement Income and Contributions, Savings and Investments.
9. Other Income - Unemployment, Gambling Income, Health Savings Accounts, etc.
10. Your Tax Returns for the previous years to check them for accuracy.
Business Tax Prep Checklist
1. Financial Statements, Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss.
2. Cost of Goods Sold (If applicable) - Inventory.
3. Partnership info if applicable.
4. Business Investments.
5. 2016 Payroll Summary from your Provider, including W-2 and W-3.
6. Any newly purchased assets (property equipment, land, building, etc).
7. IRS Forms 1099, 1098, etc received from the business.
8. Any other pertinent information.
9. Your Tax Returns for the previous years to check them for accuracy.
Preparing to file your personal and/or small business taxes can be overwhelming. A professional accounting firm may be able to do your taxes so that you can do what you do best and you have time for the things you really want to do. Golf anyone?